Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My charity donate last year was around $100-150 why is the standard deduction so big

Im very confused it only gives the option $1-$3,100  and after I finished the deduction part it said i get like 13,000 back and that seems very wrong i only donated to those donations at store for like 10-20$ a couple times but i know its at least $100 the only other thing it can be is the medical expenses was $0 cause i never had any medical problems last year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

My charity donate last year was around $100-150 why is the standard deduction so big

Here's more info on the 2023 Standard Deduction.

Charitable donations are used for Itemized Deductions, so would not be a factor in your return if you're using the Standard Deduction.

If you feel your deduction is too large, check your entries in this section.  You may have accidently misplaced a comma or period in an amount.

Since we can't see your return in this forum, if you could clarify your issue, we'll try to help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

.Everybody is allowed a $13,850 standard deduction ($27,700 married), from income, before tax is calculated.

Alternatively, taxpayers  are allowed to itemize deductions (mortgage interest, medical expenses, charity donations and state-local taxes paid, medical expenses). If your itemized deductions don't add up to more than $13,850, you get the $13,850 standard deduction.  No body gets less*, but some people get more.

*There are special rules for people who can be claimed as dependents

thank you for the help it was what you said i was just being dumb about it and got confused 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies