kimroger

My brother and I own residential real estate that we are selling.How can the capital gains be deferred if on the new property purchased,my brother is not listed?

Yiou cannot defer the capital gain, since you are not doing a Like Kind Exchange.  A rental cannot be exchanged for a personal residence.

Is it a rental property?
kimroger

Yes.  It is a townhouse that my parents originally purchased (my parents continued to live there after transferring title to my brother and me and paid monthly rent).

and did you do a 1031 exchange for another rental property for which you are the sole owner?
kimroger

Thank you.  I have not yet completed the purchase for the other real estate property (which I intend to use as my primary residence).  I have also not yet signed the contract to sell the current property that my brother and I own.