Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

klm132

My boyfriend and I bought a house and we are both on the mortgage. I’m the primary borrower, can just I claim it? The checks come from my account and he pays me cash...

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My boyfriend and I bought a house and we are both on the mortgage. I’m the primary borrower, can just I claim it? The checks come from my account and he pays me cash...

Yes you can and in fact it is best if only one of you claim the itemized deductions for the house and leave the other to file using the standard deduction.  This way you get a bigger refund between both returns.

Officially...since they are not married, each can only claim what they actually paid themselves, which sounds like 50/50

There are the rules & then there is what people do & the IRS will allow.  If the primary loan holder whose # is on the 1098 claims all the interest & taxes then the IRS almost  never questions it.  Never seen a letter on this (nor have my colleagues) in the past 53 years in the business.

@Critter#2 - Wow you started preparing taxes when you were just an infant?

I have colleagues that have been in the business for more than 50 years ... myself this is my 27th.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies