Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kasun94
Returning Member

my 1095-A form received my husband as recepient. but we file taxes married filling taxes separrely?

I am writing to seek clarification regarding the 1095-A form. In there, My husband's name is listed as the recipient of the form and my name is listed as the covered individual. and my husband didn't receive brough coverage through Bewellnm.

I am currently an international student at the University of New Mexico, and I obtained marketplace insurance for me through Bewellnm. My husband is also an international student at the same institution. As part of our tax filing process, we have opted for the married filing separate status and we file taxes as non-residents.

Upon reviewing the attached 1095-A form, I noticed that my husband's name is associated with my 1095-A form even though he did not receive insurance from bewellnm, and this has left me uncertain about the appropriate steps to take in this situation. what we uncertain is that who should include 1095-A form in thier tax file? me or my husband?.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on how to proceed with the information provided in the 1095-A form, considering our unique circumstances as international students filing taxes as a married couple.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

my 1095-A form received my husband as recepient. but we file taxes married filling taxes separrely?

You should definitely enter the 1095-A info on your tax return, since you are the covered individual.  When you signed up for the insurance, you probably indicated you were married and gave both your names, and expected income.   You may want to reach out to the Marketplace for further clarification. 

Why are you filing separately?  This is usually not advantageous for a married couple.  You may want to test your results both ways.

Since you are filing as Non-Residents, reach out to Sprintax to prepare your returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You should definitely enter the 1095-A info on your tax return, since you are the covered individual.  When you signed up for the insurance, you probably indicated you were married and gave both your names, and expected income.   You may want to reach out to the Marketplace for further clarification. 

Why are you filing separately?  This is usually not advantageous for a married couple.  You may want to test your results both ways.

Since you are filing as Non-Residents, reach out to Sprintax to prepare your returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kasun94
Returning Member

Since we are Non-residents, we are not allowed to file taxes jointly. 

Thank you for the clarification. I will reach out to Sprintax tax expert as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies