Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Multiple 1098's turbotax not calculating the max allowed interest deduction correctly

I have two different 1098 forms from 2023 from a primary and a secondary home, purchased in last two years. One mortgage balance ~650K, the other ~400K. Maximum allowed deductions per IRS are interest on no more than 750K of mortgage. So, per my calculations, I am allowed to deduct about 750/(650+400) = 71.4%of the total mortgage interest. However, when I enter the two 1098's in turbotax, it gives me the entire 100% worth of mortgage interest as a deduction. I tried deleting the 1098's and re-uploading them, thinking I might have entered something incorrectly, but they still apply 100% of the mortgage interest as a deduction. Who is wrong here (I believe Turbotax) and how to fix this situation with the tax deadline fast approaching. Thanks!

P.S. There are no complicating factors. No points. No refinancing. No rental involved. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Multiple 1098's turbotax not calculating the max allowed interest deduction correctly

First let's find out what you are basing this on. Are you going by the amount of interest that is listed for each 1098 on the summary page after entering them? The full amount of interest will be listed there, not the deductible amount. Did you verify the interest that is listed on schedule A line 8a is incorrect?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies