turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moving expense deductions for self-employed

I see the instructions about deducting moving expenses for self-employed say you must work at least 78 weeks (1 ½ years) of the 24 months immediately following your move.  I moved from NJ to FL in December 2022, started working in May 2023 as an independent consultant for a NY company on hourly basis.  How do I claim this deduction since I can’t claim until 2024 (due to the 1 1/2 years rule), but the expense was incurred in 2022 and I answered “NO” to the question of moving expense on my 2022 and 2023 returns (since I can't claim deductions in these years)?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For federal purposes you can deduct moving expenses only if you are a Member of the Armed Forces on active duty and, due to a military order, you, your spouse, or your dependents move because of a permanent change of station.

the moving expense deduction was eliminated, except as described above, for individuals for the years 2018-2025 so you are apparently looking at an old thread pre-2018. where did you see those instructions?

since FL does not have a personal income tax there would be no deduction for it. Generally states that allow a moving expense deduction only allow it if you're moving in not out. 

where did you see those instructions?

Thanks.  The instructions I referred to are in the current TurboTax version, when I clicked "learn more" next to "moving expenses" under "Other Deductions and Credits."  I did see someone said the same thing as you said when I searched TurboTax community, but why isn't TurboTax updated?  It's very misleading if this deduction was eliminated since 2018 yet TurboTax 2023 is still showing the old instructions! 

Thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies