Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved out of country with no plans to return back to USA, do i need to file CO state return?

After living and working in the US (In Colorado) on H-1B visa for about 10 years i finally moved to India in July, 2023 with no intention to return back. I am now filing the return for the tax year 2023 and wondering if i need to file Colorado state return? Also if i do need to, would i file it as a full year resident, part year resident or  as a non-resident? Could you please advise.

I also didn't encounter any questionnaire in TurboTax that appeared to be dealing with moving out of country or the last date of residency in a state. I wonder if i just download and use CO state tax component in turbo Tax it would just assume that i want to file CO state return as full year resident, which is not correct.  Am i missing something here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Moved out of country with no plans to return back to USA, do i need to file CO state return?

Yes, you need to select and file CO part year resident. You will enter your dates of residency. This will finalize your time in CO and finish up your tax responsibility.

It sounds like you are set. We are here if you need more help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies