Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from Utah to NJ in 2014. $4,000 in Moving expenses were applied to Utah deduction instead of NJ. They now want to Audit. How can I correct this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Moved from Utah to NJ in 2014. $4,000 in Moving expenses were applied to Utah deduction instead of NJ. They now want to Audit. How can I correct this?

You will have to pay Utah.  Moving expenses deducted on the Federal return may be deducted from the Utah portion of AGI only to the extent that they are for moving into Utah and within Utah.

https://rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r865/r865-09i.htm

As indicated in the comment above, NJ does not have a comparable deduction.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Federal deductions such as moving expenses are not allowed on the New Jersey return.
Did you file part year resident returns in both states?

Yes, I filed a part year resident return in both states.

You will have to pay Utah.  Moving expenses deducted on the Federal return may be deducted from the Utah portion of AGI only to the extent that they are for moving into Utah and within Utah.

https://rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r865/r865-09i.htm

As indicated in the comment above, NJ does not have a comparable deduction.

I used Turbo tax and filled out Federal 3903 moving expenses. Would have this been applied to Utah automatically or would I have had to enter the moving expense separately on the Utah and NJ return?

I'm not sure, as I a just another user, but normally things like that are covered in the State interview.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies