Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Piscesracle
Returning Member

Motor vehicle supplemental property tax in Connecticut

This is going to be a HUGELY stupid question but please keep in mind I am NOT familiar with Connecticut tax stuff.... especially property taxes on cars....I'm from California and there we pay once a year on cars in the form of registration fees...cause I've never heard of this before moving here.

I've just paid off Motor Vehicle Supplemental Taxes on a vehicle got in 2021...I guess it's from multiple years ...is this claimable on your tax return? Cause I just spent $900 plus on paying off delinquents property taxes....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You appear to be referring to supplemental property taxes that might be eligible for a property tax credit on your Connecticut return, as opposed to the vehicle registration deduction allowable on your federal return.

If that's the case, then, according to Which Property Tax Bills Qualify under Schedule 3 – Property Tax Credit in the Connecticut Resident Income Tax Return Instructions, "[s]upplemental property tax bills that were due during 2023 or 2024 … qualify if paid during 2023."

This language doesn't speak directly to when the taxes were assessed, but, logically, if they were assessed in 2021 or another prior year, they'd still be due during 2023 or 2024, and should qualify if you paid them in 2023. 

If you're referring to the federal itemized deduction for vehicle registration fees, auto registration fees aren’t deductible for Connecticut, but you can claim the personal property tax you paid annually, based on the value of your car.  See the TurboTax Help article Is my car registration fee deductible? for more information.

Piscesracle
Returning Member

@JohnW152 

PII Removed

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, do you have an additional question? I believe you gave some personal information such as a phone number or email address but this is strictly prohibited to share on a public forum. 

@Piscesracle  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies