Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpbenbow
Returning Member

Mortgage points

I paid points on a mortgage loan originated in 2023. I went to IRS.gov and and completed the ITA on the subject (Interactive tax assistance). I met all required criteria to be able to itemize the entire amount in 2023. However when I enter the info into Turbo Tax it shows that the points must be amortized over the life of the loan. I have checked my responses-i.e. main home, points paid in 2023, received a 1098, etc. but shows only 1/30 of the points can be itemized in 2023. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Mortgage points

I found this note on the page 'Tell us about any points paid to (lender name)' when I clicked on the underlined blue text 'points'

Note: To deduct 100% of your 2023 points on this tax return, you must check the box "This is a new loan on which I paid points (origination fees) in 2023" and the box "I bought or improved my main home with this loan in 2023."

jpbenbow
Returning Member

Mortgage points

Hi. Thanks for response. I had already done what you suggested but still won’t work

Mortgage points

The only other things I can think of that would cause Turbo Tax to force spreading the points are the mortgage is marked for a second home or it is marked as a refinance of a previous loan. Since you didn't make these selections, I would contact customer support and share your screen with them as you go through the mortgage deduction section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies