Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage Interest Deductible Limit

I have a 1098 for my original mortgage with with an original balance less than $750K

I have a second 1098 from same lender for refinanced loan, again balance less than $750K. 

TurboTax asks if average loan balance exceeds $1M prior to 15 Dec 2017, or exceeds $750K prior to 15 Dec 2017. I'm married filing jointly. 

In reality, the answer is NO, as I've never taken a loan that big at all. 

However, Turbotax has preselected "YES" and grayed out the selections so I can't change it. 

Why? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@TaxRanger101 In the 2019 TurboTax program, there was an issue just like what you're describing.  When a user entered a refinanced mortgage, somehow the mortgages were totaling the mortgage balances rather than treating it as a refinance.

Let me report this to TurboTax Moderators for investigation.  Do you mind grabbing a screenshot (with no personal information, of course), that I can share with Moderators?

Thank you so much!

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

We are having the exact same issue

I have the same issue.  How to fix?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

I have posted this thread where Moderators can see it.  I'll follow up here as soon as I'm advised of how the issue was resolved in 2019.  So sorry for the difficulty.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Hmm, I can't quite figure out how to get back to the screen with the issue now that I passed it in order to grab a screenshot. 

Will keep trying. 

Thanks for your help! 

I am experiencing this same issue, I had 2 refinances in 2020 which results in 3 different interest amounts which requires me to enter 3 different loan balances, making my loan balance $1.8M when it really is $600K. I too am getting the preselected "Yes" on the next screen and am unable to select "No."

I am having same issue, it keeps adding both my original loan and my refinanced loan together. It never gives me the option to say I paid off the first loan (with the refinance of course). Please help!

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you would be willing to share a diagnostic copy of your tax file, it could be helpful to examine the situation in more detail.  

To do so, follow the instructions below and post the token number along with which version of TurboTax you are using in a follow-up thread.

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and be sure you are in your tax return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.

@TaxRanger101

@rainhanna

@SR1515

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a downloaded version of Turbo Tax Deluxe 2020 and do not see a "Online" option.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@rainhanna I also use the Desktop TurboTax product.  I'm attaching a screenshot below that shows where you'll see the "Online" option in the task bar at the top left.

2021-01-27 11_55_56-Window.png

Here's what I see:

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.41.04 AM.png

I am having the same issue as others.  Refinanced my mortgage.  Both the old balance and new balance are under 600K, but turbotax automatically prefilled the "Yes, one or both of these situations apply to me" box, indicated my average loan balance exceeds $1 million.   Apparently the software is adding both the original and the refinanced amounts together, even though the refinanced amount paid off the original amount.    I can't find the "online" options others have mentioned to report this issue (running the CD version on a Mac).

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@rainhanna So strange!  I thought all of the Desktop editions would look the same!  I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks so much for that screenshot!  (And sorry mine was cut off).  😉

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Okay @rainhanna and @GreenSierra:  Since you're using Mac software, my co-Champion, @macuser_22 has given these instructions for sending a diagnostic file to TurboTax.

On the top menu bar -> Help ->Send File to TurboTax Agent.

Thank you, @macuser_22 !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies