turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage interest and property tax deduction for empty lot that we are building on?

We purchased a 0.5 acre lot in late 2022 and just started construction of our home on that lot in late 2023 (so approx. 1 year gap between buying the lot and starting our home build).

For the lot, I got a mortgage for the land purchase, and I paid off the mortgage for the lot within about 9 months, mid-2023. I received a Form 1098-B from the bank which says I paid about $5700 in mortgage interest on that land loan. 

We got a construction loan for the house build in late 2023, and that is unrelated to the paid-off mortgage for the land. Construction started on the house in Oct 2023.

My question is this: am I able to deduct the $5700 in mortgage interest paid for the land on my 2023 taxes? We did start construction in 2023, however, the land loan was paid off several months prior to starting construction, so I am not sure if that interest can still be deducted.

I did some searching and this is what the IRS website says:

"No, you can't deduct interest on land that you keep and intend to build a home on. However, some interest may be deductible once construction begins. You can treat a home under construction as a qualified home for a period of up to 24 months, but only if it becomes your qualified home at the time it's ready for occupancy. The 24-month period can start any time on or after the day construction begins. As a qualified home, the interest paid may qualify as deductible mortgage interest, with certain limitations."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Mortgage interest and property tax deduction for empty lot that we are building on?

It's a bit of a gray area, but I would say no, as there was nothing under construction.  You can deduct the interest as mortgage interest once construction begins, subject to some requirements.  You can treat a home under construction as a qualified home for a period of up to 24 months, but only if it becomes your qualified home at the time it is ready for occupancy.  The 24-month period can start any time on or after the day construction begins.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies