Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jdcs311
Returning Member

mobile home 2023

i purchased a mobile home in Nov 2023 and paid cash for it. I paid a monthly lot of $750 for half of Nov and a full month in Dec. which included $200.40 in taxes. I did my taxes on the desktop and saw a section that asks if I pay personal property taxes, it did have different choices the first was motor home, the second was mobile home the 3rd was planes and the last choice was boats. Obviously, I picked the choice of mobile home. So I am confused, is this considered property tax? I live in NJ. I didn't receive any paperwork from the community.  Do I need to amend my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

mobile home 2023

Personal property tax is the portion of your vehicle registration fee, like your vehicle sticker.

What was the 200.40 tax that you paid? Are you saying 200.40 in SALES tax?

You have the option to claim state SALES tax instead of state INCOME tax if/when you Itemize Deductions. 

Claiming SALES tax instead of INCOME tax is usually only beneficial to people that live in states that have no income tax, such as Florida.

Claiming SALES tax is only helpful if you Itemize Deductions, most people take the Standard Deduction.

If this is something you reported when doing your federal return in TurboTax, chances are you received the Standard Deduction and no amendment is necessary.

Look at line 12 on your 1040 to see if you took the Standard Deduction (13,850 Single 27,700 Married filing jointly). If yes, you're good.

If you filed, look at your paper copy.

If you did not yet file-

• To View using TurboTax Online:
    Select Tax Tools on the left side-bar
    Select Tools from that drop-down
    Select “View Tax Summary” on the TOOLS CENTER screen
    Select “Preview my 1040” which now appears on the left side-bar

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies