Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OhioJK

Medical Expenses - Schedule A

Hello - I know I will have enough medical expenses in 2023 that make it worth itemizing my taxes vs. the standard deduction. My question is for another upcoming surgery that will take place in 2023 but the billing department is always very slow. How do I ensure that I am able to pay for the procedure that will occur this year when I know it is unlikely that I will not receive the bill until 2024? I am anticipating that I will only itemize for 2023 taxes not 2024 so I want to make sure I get credit and pay for it if that makes sense.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

maybe go to the billing dept and 'bang on their door' so that the bill is dated in 2023.  Even if it is billed on Dec 31 and you pay it that day you will be fine. 

OhioJK

Thanks for the advice - I guess that is probably going to be my best option. I wish the rule was different and was a little more flexible in timing for situations like this.

You can only deduct expenses you pay in 2023.  You also generally can't deduct expenses you pay in advance for care in a future year, but that rule would not apply if you want to pay in advance in 2023 for a procedure that will be performed in 2023.  Check with the facility and see if they will accept an advanced payment based on an estimate of the cost of care and your insurance coverage.   (At my most recent elective surgery, the facility required advanced payment based on an insurance estimate.   They had to refund me when the insurance share came in higher than expected.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies