turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical deduction - celiac disease

My son has celiac disease and we claim the additional cost of gluten-free items as part of medical expenses. Where in the medical deductions section of Turbo Tax do I put this? The section asks about specific categories like eye care, prescriptions, lab fees, etc. Does the gluten-free expense number go under "Other" medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Doctor-prescribed foods to treat a medical condition (e.g., celiac disease, obesity or hypertension) may be partially deductible. Only the cost of special foods that exceeds the cost for regular foods is deductible, which can be difficult to prove.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yup, I have a letter from my son's doctor, a spreadsheet with all of the gluten-free food, a comparable gluten containing food, a calculation for the additional cost, and receipts for every single purchase. My question is which section in Turbo Tax should this number get entered? I know it's under Medical Expenses, but medical expenses are broken down into the categories. Which category would the food cost go under?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I would post the costs on the screen Tell us about any other medical expenses.

The Description may carry over to the tax return.  ‘Celiac disease’ would be sufficient.

jjberg208
Returning Member

This is exactly how I have documented my cost of food for Celiac Disease on my tax returns for the past three years.  It’s also important to keep ALL of your receipts of all gluten free foods, it can be a bit of a chore, but it’s a necessary evil

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@jjberg208 makes some important observations for claiming a deduction that relates to a special diet for a medical condition.

Please also see the TurboTax article Medical Expenses Checklist for additional information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies