Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical deduction and GoFundME money

If i received money from gofundme and a private donor for medical expenses, can I deduct on schedule A the medical expenses paid with this money?  I have seen conflicting information.  Part of the publication says you cannot deduct if its paid with insurance money, FSA or HSA.  I do not see anything about money that is gifted.  However, it doesnt seem right to be able to deduct the expenses since it is not technically my earned money.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yes, you can deduct the gifted money as a medical expense if you itemize. You can only deduct a total amount of medical expenses greater than 7.5 percent of your AGI. 

The tax issue is whether there is a basis in the money.  Basis essentially means, was there tax already paid on the money, or was it tax-free.  If you pay medical expenses with HSA, FSA, or insurance money, that is un-taxed money (insurance money was never taxed, while HSA and FSA money was deducted from your taxable income when you made the contribution) and you can't deduct a tax you never paid.  Gifted money was already taxed, because even though you did not pay tax on the income, the giver did, and the giver can't take a tax deduction for a personal gift, even if the recipient is needy.  

Money is also "fungible".  This means that once you receive the cash and put it in your bank account, it becomes mingled with all your other money and loses its "identity".  You could just as easily say that you are using the gifts to pay your rent or mortgage and your own money to pay the medical bills.  

Because money is fungible, and because the giver already paid tax on their income before they used some of it for the gift, you are allowed to deduct the medical expenses (subject to the other usual rules) even though you are paying with gifted money. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies