Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Me and my bf started making money online. We made 710.10 this year. Since we are both on the count but not married do we just split the 1099nec. It’s small $ if we split.

We are not married. I’ve been told if we split it we don’t have to claim it because it’s so small. We made money selling products for a manufacturer. Like affiliate marketing. It’s just a side hustle. I already filed my federal taxes but not state. He already filed both. We didn’t think we would get any forms since it was such a small amount
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Me and my bf started making money online. We made 710.10 this year. Since we are both on the count but not married do we just split the 1099nec. It’s small $ if we split.

ask whoever told you that you don't have to claim if they will pay your taxes, interest and penalties if caught. All income must be reported. The IRS might even catch this since the one whose SSN is first on the account might get a 1099-NEC or MISC for the full amount. 

I leave open the question of whether this is a partnership that needs to file a partnership return to properly split the income and expenses. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

All amounts, no matter how little are reportable income. 

" I’ve been told if we split it we don’t have to claim it because it’s so small" only means that the people who paid you don't have to issue a 1099-NEC, if it's under a certain amount (usually $6000.  But, you still have to report the income, no matter how little.

The one who got the 1099-NEC reports the whole $710, then claims a deduction for the half the other person got. Then the other person' reports his half.  For simplicity, you may want to not take the deduction, so the other person doesn't have to report it. 

Technically this should be filed as self employment income, meaning you have to pay social security and Medicare tax, in addition to income tax.  But, if this was a one time gig, you can report it as "other income" (it's harder to take deductions for other income).  At least one of you needs to file an amended return, to report the income.  Wait until your first return is fully processed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies