turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

May I deduct medical expenses including hospital bed and air-ambulance for my non-dependent mother who traveled aboard and seriously injured her spinal cord?

May I deduct medical expenses including hospital bed and air-ambulance for my non-dependent mother who traveled aboard and seriously injured her spinal cord? She went to Taiwan for a week trip, but she slipped and fell and caused quadriplegia. This requires her to fly back to the country for long term medical treatment and rehabilitation. She could not ride on commercial plane. Instead, she needed IV and oxygen tank and other medical apparatus. I. therefore, paid $130,000 for Air-ambulance to transport her here. I also purchased hospital and lift for her home care about $40,000. She is not my dependent on tax status. May I claim deductions for these expenses? Thanks    

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

May I deduct medical expenses including hospital bed and air-ambulance for my non-dependent mother who traveled aboard and seriously injured her spinal cord?

The IRS only permits a taxpayer to deduct medical expenses for a person who is claimed as a dependent. page 3, IRS Publication 502 below for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Sorry to hear about your situation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

The IRS only permits a taxpayer to deduct medical expenses for a person who is claimed as a dependent. page 3, IRS Publication 502 below for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Sorry to hear about your situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies