turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married Filing seperately - Tax Treaty deduction

I'm a resident alien filing Form1040, while my spouse is a non-resident alien (F1 international student). We are filing separately. I'm claiming itemized tax deductions for home ownership/property taxes. According to IRS rules, both me and my spouse should use itemized deductions.

As a F-1 student, my wife can claim tax deduction under US-India tax treaty benefit. Will this be treated as standard deduction? Is she allowed to do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No. As an F1 student, she would need to file a 1040 NR return, which does not allow a standard deduction. As far as claiming a foreign tax credit on income earned in India, since she would be filing a 1040 NR, this income would not be required to be filed on a 1040 NR thus a Foreign Tax Credit would not be claimed if that is the deduction you are referring to under the US/India treaty.

Turbo Tax does not prepare 1040 NR returns but our affiliate at Sprint Tax does. Contact them for further information regarding the filing of a 1040 NR return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@academicsheep , having read through your post and  answer by my colleague @DaveF1006  ( and agreeing), I would like to draw attention to a few things:

(a)  US-India Tax treaty  requires an Indian student to be treated the same as a domestic student for  tax purposes.  Thus the limitation of 1040-NR  to allowing  ONLY itemized deduction is  rescinded and therefore an Indian student can choose standard deduction if it benefits him/her.

(b)  But this freedom  ( to be treated like domestic student ) comes with other  rules.   Married  tax payers filing separately ( MFS) are required to choose the same deduction method i.e. if one chooses itemized then the other must choose the same  type. 

(c) Also because you are married , you can indeed choose to file MFJ  ( if she has a tax id ) by requesting to be treated as a resident for tax purposes  ( because she is married to a Resident Alien  ( or Resident for Tax purposes).

Your suggested path would be considered double dipping  and would not be allowed.

Is there more I can do for you ?

Namaste ji

pk

Thank you for responding. Since she was a NR-Alien her W2 did not have any social sec wages (F-1 OPT visa employees don't have social security deductions). While reporting as MFJ, can i continue to use the same W2 she received from her employer?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@academicsheep , even if your wife wants/needs to be treated as a resident, practical training with EAD, is still immune  from FICA tax -- TurboTax may require you to  file a schedule-SE where in  you  can declare that she being on OPT is immune  from FICA.

Hope this helps 

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies