Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

albertlin
Returning Member

Malpractice Tail Insurance Deduction/W2 Earner Questions

I'm currently an employee with a group and receive a W-2, but for years I used to be a 1099-MISC and K-1 receiving contractor and then partner of my own group. Had to pay for my own closing costs/malpractice tail insurance, with the last installment due this year 2019. I will be about to start a side-gig/1099-MISC earning income through a separate business that I have LLC'd, that will earn me about 10% - 20% of my current individual W-2 income (estimated), but probably will not start until 2020. However, I will have $0 (zero) LLC 1099-MISC income this year, or a very nominal amount.

1) Is it better for me to ask for an extension and pay off my Malpractice Tail Insurance during the 2020 year, when I will receive more 1099-MISC income (and potentially have more 1099-MISC related business deductions), in terms of a Schedule A deduction? Or should I aim to pay it off all this 2019 year, since the Tail Insurance amount will likely represent a larger portion of my income (above 2% of my AGI)?

2) Will my total income/AGI (new LLC 1099-MISC + individual W2) impact this decision as well, because of AMT issues?

3) Although I didn't do it this time, if I ever move to a new employer, should I negotiate my Tail Insurance to be paid down by my hypothetical new employer to maximize my deduction, since it ideally could be taken out pre-tax and just count as a deduction in my future salary?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ee-ea
Level 15

Malpractice Tail Insurance Deduction/W2 Earner Questions

See this about the 2% deduction  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/can-employees-deduct-any-job-related-e...

Make the new employer pay since you can not deduct the insurance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies