Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loss on excess HSA contributions: return of contributions not reduced for loss; how to address

Hello TurboTax Community,

This is a second question related to an earlier post.   In 2022, my husband accidentally overcontributed to his HSA account via payroll deductions.  He requested and received a return of excess contributions before the April 2023 filing date, and we reported the entire amount on our 2022 joint return.  The HSA administrator bank did not refund any earnings.  When we later called the bank to ask the status of the earnings refund, the bank informed us that they do not calculate earnings and that we should seek tax advice from a licensed tax professional.  Apparently, the bank expected us to request a second refund for any earnings calculated by our tax professional.   I consulted the TurboTax community instead.

Using the formula provided in another TT thread and after reading additional guidance, I calculated the earnings on the returned excess contributions and calculated a $195 loss.  There had been a market decline during the period between the excess contributions and the withdrawal.  So, it appears we requested a larger withdrawal than was necessary.

How should we address this now and report this in TurboTax in April?  Is there a way to report the loss in TurboTax without it appearing on the bank's 1099?  Will the IRS inquire if neither the bank nor we report earnings?    I would like to take action now, if necessary, and report this correctly in April so the return doesn't unnecessarily raise red flags.  

Many thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Loss on excess HSA contributions: return of contributions not reduced for loss; how to address

I will page @dmertz

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The loss on the excess contributions is not deductible.  You do not need to report anything related to it on your tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.  So, just to confirm, HSA custodians don't report losses on excess contributions to the IRS, and if there are no earnings reported on my spouse's 2023 1099-SA box 2, this scenario won't necessarily raise red flags with the agency.  In the end, it's somewhat fortunate that the 2022 HSA excess contributions incurred a loss, else we would now have to calculate and request withdrawal of earnings on a 2022 excess contribution that my spouse withdrew in April 2023, or eight months ago.

Many thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies