hscarolan68

Looks like the Home Energy Credits for solar panels isn't calculating correctly. 2nd home in Puerto Rico & spend 10% of our time there, but it's giving us full 30% credit

We were under the impression we would only get 10% of the 30% credit.  We checked the box for it not being at our main home, but there doesn't seem to be a place to put in how much time we spend there.

You're entitled to the full credit.  This particular section of the tax law does not have a "must be your main home" requirement. 

candelapr1

Hi,

I just purchased a house in Puerto Rico, which is going to be my second home. I am considering a solar panel system. Can I take the credit even when I live in MD? From the reply it looks like I can but want to confirm.