Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Long Term Care Policy Surrender Value Reported on 1099-MISC

I have received an option to surrender my Qualified LTC policy and am told that a 1099-MISC will be generated for the 2024 Tax year. I am seeking to understand the tax implications of doing so. I have had this policy for 20 years. The premiums  were paid with after tax dollars.  A rough estimation would indicated that the surrender value is greater than the premiums paid into the policy. What are the tax implications?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Since the amount received is apparently not a return of premium it will be taxed at your marginal tax rate. 

If you did not take a tax deduction for the after-tax premiums, then:

If the surrender value is more than the premiums you paid, the difference is taxable as a long term capital gains.  If the surrender value is less than the premiums you paid, you have a loss that is not tax deductible (because personal losses are not deductible and this doesn't really count as an investment.).  You would report it as the sale of an investment, with the purchase price being the total premiums you paid and the selling price being the amount you received.

If you did take an itemized tax deduction for the premiums, then in addition to the above, any part of the premium that you did get a deduction for, is now taxable as ordinary income as a reimbursement of a previous deduction.  For example, suppose the premiums were $10,000 in 2023, and you included medical expenses in your itemized deductions.  Because of the 7.5% rule, only $3000 of your medical expenses were actually deductible that year.  Therefore, $3000 of the refund is a taxable reimbursement of a previous deduction.  (You will have to make this calculation for every previous year that you took the itemized deduction for medical expenses and included your premiums as a deductible expense.)  Reimbursements of previous deductions are reported in the other uncommon income section (miscellaneous income). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies