Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thnguyenmow
Returning Member

Limit Int/points on 1098. Somewhat complicated situation

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some help here.  I'm renting 20% of my house and TurboTax calculated the mortgage tax deduction for my rental and allocated the rest as a mortgage deduction on the personal primary residence. The complication is that the average mortgage balance is greater than $750k limit. TurboTax automatically allocate the 80% of the entire mortgage interest amount to primary residence deduction, I need to limit this to follow IRS guidance. However, under "deduction" section the automatic allocation couldn't be changed. I am using TurboTax online.  As a result I'm having "Limit Int/points on 1098" error that I tried to enter following to no avail:

1. 0

2. Limited amount

3. Blank

4. Negative amount to bring the line transferred from Schedule E down to the limit

Still kicking errors. 

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Instead of allowing TurboTax to do the math for you, select 'No' and then enter the fractional components for the part of the home you rent out. You do the math in other words. 

Then enter the remaining fractional share on the Schedule A side. Do take into account the mortgage interest cap in both places. So 20% and 80% of your interest on the $750k limit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
thnguyenmow
Returning Member

Thank you for a response. I'm OK with doing it manually just struggling to figure out where to click to switch that off in the software and how to enter Mortgage interest for partial rental without having it automatically allocated. 

Thanks again

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Go back to the property profile section. You'll continue through a few screens to get to the 'Let us calculate your expense deductions for you' page. Select 'No' and proceed with the following screens.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies