Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lifetime learning credit

my daughter got a lifetime learning credit of 2000 dollars last year ( she made 30,000 dollars on her job W2)

this year when filing taxes, my daughter did not get the lifetime learning credit 

Is it because she did not make enough, her W2 for 2023 was 8000 dollars 

also she is a grad student

can she ever qualify for american opportunity credit ?

does it matter if you are independent vs dependent on getting educational credit 

i tried filing daughter at dependent but since she is 24 and made more than 4000, turbotax said she cannot be claimed as a dependent 

my son able to file at dependent but he did not get any educational benefits  , i believe my income too high, over 200, 000

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

lifetime learning credit

Q. My daughter did not get the lifetime learning credit. Is it because she did not make enough, her W2 for 2023 was 8000 dollars ?

A. Yes. The  lifetime learning credit (unlike the American opportunity credit) is a non-refundable credit.  It can only be used to offset an actual tax liability.

Q. She is a grad student. Can she ever qualify for American opportunity credit ?

A. No. Grad students ate not eligible, except in the year they get their BA/BS. 

Q, Does it matter if you are independent vs dependent on getting educational credit?

A. Yes. A dependent cannot get an educational credit. A person who CAN be a dependent, but isn't actually claimed can only get a non-refundable education credit (but then the parent would lose the $500 dependent credit). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies