Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year, I was only refunded a child tax credit for two of my three children. My son was 18, but living in my home full time and a full time student (senior in hs)

How do I get that tax credit if it is due to me?  I am a divorced mom, head of household and it was my year to claim the children. I must have made a mistake somewhere? What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Last year, I was only refunded a child tax credit for two of my three children. My son was 18, but living in my home full time and a full time student (senior in hs)

You don't get it because it is not due to you. A child qualifies for the child tax credit only when the child is 16 or younger. The moment that the child turns 17, the child does not qualify for the child tax credit for the entire year. That is an absolute age limit. Nothing else matters, not student status or anything else. The moment that the child turns 17, the child does not qualify for the child tax credit for the entire year. That is the tax law and there are no exceptions to it.

Thank you, I didn't realize that- bummer!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies