Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

podamus96

Last months rule- I was on my HDHP through my employer until August when I switched to COBRA (same plan) but no longer could contribute to HSA acct. Do I choose yes or no

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Last months rule- I was on my HDHP through my employer until August when I switched to COBRA (same plan) but no longer could contribute to HSA acct. Do I choose yes or no

If you had the same HDHP plan (through COBRA) on Dec. 1st, you can answer Yes- or you can also indicate the months you were covered on that plan (through COBRA).  The HDHP is looking at the deductible on the insurance plan you had in place.  Because you were covered on the SAME plan through COBRA, you were able to contribute, just not through your employer (you would have had to set up your own HSA account)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
podamus96

Thanks for the response- I did not set up another HSA, my HSA is still active to use the funds in there but I am not contributing because I am no longer with my employer. I am not using my health insurance but rather using COBRA just for coverage purposes until I get a new job. Does this change the answer?

No, the HSAs are quite confusing- it is hard to separate the components (contributions, distributions, HDHP, employer funded etc.) so I understand.  You can use the last month rule because you the COBRA was an HDHP  (The COBRA has the same features of your employer's plan.) PLEASE ask if you have more questions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies