Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 does not reflect correct gain

Hi -  I received a Final K-1 for an investment.  Please see the snip below showing the capital account.  The K-1 also shows income of $164, which you would expect.  However, I did not buy the investment at $1000 but I bought it from an original investor in a secondary market. at a price of $1050.  As such, my profit was $114 and not $164.  The investment company only ever received $1000 for the investment at issuance and just transferred ownership to my name when I bought the investment in the secondary market for $1050 (and paid $1050 to the original investor).

My question then is how to I go about reporting the additional $50 in basis and $50 less in income that is not reflected on the Final K-1?  Thanks!

Capture.JPG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

this is a situation of inside and outside tax basis.  the k-1 (inside tax basis) is correct and should be reported exactly as shown,  your outsise tax basis is likely as follows

1050 +164 -1164 = 50 which you report as a $50 capital loss on disposal. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

this is a situation of inside and outside tax basis.  the k-1 (inside tax basis) is correct and should be reported exactly as shown,  your outsise tax basis is likely as follows

1050 +164 -1164 = 50 which you report as a $50 capital loss on disposal. 

"you report as a $50 capital loss on disposal"  Does this happen on Schedule D?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies