Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tiquisito

Joint Account in the US - One holder is US citizen, the other one is a foreing national. Tax implications?

So... I have a joint account with my mother, I am a US citizen and she is not nor does she live in the US. This is her money.  She is soon to sell her house back home and wants to wire the funds to this account. Again, this is her money BUT my name is on the account as well. Question is.... am I responsible for the funds on that account as well as the taxes? I do get the W9 every year since my SS# is registered on the account. Also, she does file her W8 yearly.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Joint Account in the US - One holder is US citizen, the other one is a foreing national. Tax implications?

@Tiquisito ,  just to be sure  below is what I understand of the situation at hand :

(a) You a  US person  ( Citizen / GreenCard ) have joint US bank account   ( begs the question why ? )

(b) Your mother , a Non-Resident Alien owns real estate in her home country ( which country ? ) of which she is a resident & citizen

(c) Mother sells the property in that country and plans to deposit the proceeds  to the JOINT US bank account.

(d) mother files W-8 Ben ( why ? does she have US sourced income ?, does eh file yearly return--US ? )

Now the question is what are tax implications from US tax perspective?   

Please could you answer my questions above , please ?

Generally  all US sourced  incomes for the NRA ( mother ) and  world income for the citizen are taxed by the US -- taking into consideration any  tax treaty between the two countries.

If the income amount is more than  a trigger amount   ( US$10,000 ), a SAR would be routinely raised by the US bank  and generally is of no consequence.  However if the incoming amount is above  a max amount, there is a treasury  permission required  ( think it is around US$ 10 million ).

I will circle back once I hear from you .

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies