Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Itemized deduction is recommended for me yet standard deduction keeps showing up in review. I keep changing it to itemized and standard keeps showing up.

I have chose "itemized deduction" several times, to no avail.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

Itemized deduction is recommended for me yet standard deduction keeps showing up in review. I keep changing it to itemized and standard keeps showing up.

You're correct to make sure your return is accurate and you understand it. To preview your form 1040 and verify the amount of your standard deduction or itemized deduction on line 40, follow the steps below: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322

Standard deduction amounts are $6,300 (single) or double for married filers.

Once you're satisfied with your return, you can only see all of your forms, including Schedule A Itemized deductions after you've made payment, under the File tab step #1. To print and view your returns follow the steps below: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5967938

Alternatively, if you're in a desktop version of the software, you can access all forms at any time, using the Forms mode. Let me know what software you're using and I can assist further.
Let me know how it goes!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AmandaR1

Did you continue through all of the screens after?

Yes, several times, right up to "file."  I keeps saying standard deduction in review.
AmandaR1

Preview the tax form - My account - tools - preview 1040 - look at line 40, is it calculating?

under account there is no "tools" or preview 1040
AmandaR1

click the orange button "Take me to my return" first. Then you will find tools

Right.  Found tools, but no preview 1040 option.  Perhaps I need the upgraded version (I have the $36 version).  Thanks for trying to help;  I will be away from my computer for a while, but I will not file my taxes until I have resolved this.  I just hope I don't have to resort to paper tax forms -- I've used Turbo Tax for many years, and there is usually a glitch each year.

One more try:  I cannot find preview 1040, but in any case I went back to deductibles and changed it to "standard;" the amount of my refund was $80.  I changed it again to "itemized," and it showed a refund of $197.  When I ran the final check, it once again said "standard deduction," as it always has, but the refund remained at $197.  At this point I'm wondering if this is just a glitch in the program and my return was in fact based on itemized deduction.  Sorry to keep nagging at this, but I would like to know my return and refund are correct.  Thank you.
AmandaR1

Apologies, it's preview the tax summary and then you'll have the option for the 1040. I don't see anything about this in our database, but what edition of TurboTax are you using? I'll provide the instructions to preview below.

Got it.  Thank you.  Under deductions it says "itemized/standard deductions" and the amount is for the itemized.  Wow, it took a while, but thank you for persevering.  Btw, I have the Deluxe version and I am using a Windows/cloud desktop.  Evan
AmandaR1

You're correct to make sure your return is accurate and you understand it. To preview your form 1040 and verify the amount of your standard deduction or itemized deduction on line 40, follow the steps below: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322

Standard deduction amounts are $6,300 (single) or double for married filers.

Once you're satisfied with your return, you can only see all of your forms, including Schedule A Itemized deductions after you've made payment, under the File tab step #1. To print and view your returns follow the steps below: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5967938

Alternatively, if you're in a desktop version of the software, you can access all forms at any time, using the Forms mode. Let me know what software you're using and I can assist further.
Let me know how it goes!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies