Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtlabs

It’s asking me if I took a standard mileage deduction last year or if I claimed actual expenses. I did neither, I have no schedule C , Just an EZ-C. Any advice because it’s not letting me ta

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

It’s asking me if I took a standard mileage deduction last year or if I claimed actual expenses. I did neither, I have no schedule C , Just an EZ-C. Any advice because it’s not letting me ta

If you are claiming vehicle expenses, then you are completing a SCH C, not the SCH C-EZ. If you are using a SCH C-EZ then you can't claim *ANY* business expenses of any type. Not one single penny for anything.

@Carl   You certainly can take expenses, including vehicle expenses, on Schedule C-EZ.  But it no longer exists in 2019.

As for the original question, using Schedule C-EZ has nothing to do with it.   Are you filing your 2019 tax return now?  What DATE did you enter that you started using the vehicle for business?  If you started using it for business before 2019, you NEEDED to claim it on your prior tax returns, and that is why the program is asking you that.  If you used TurboTax last year, there should be a "worksheet" somewhere with that information.

In the event you used it for business in a prior year but you did NOT actually claim it on your tax return (which would be wrong and you may want to amend), you need to say "Actual Expenses" because you would no longer qualify for the Standard Mileage Rate.

Carl
Level 15

You certainly can take expenses, including vehicle expenses, on Schedule C-EZ.

That's the IRS requirements, yes. However, in order to use the TurboTax program to file a SCH C-EZ, you are not allowed to claim "ANY" expenses. That's a TurboTax thing, not an IRS thing. This applies to 2018 and prior years of course, as the SCH C-EZ no longer exists starting with the 2019 tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies