Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It looks like my Child and Dependent Care expenses weren't calculated correctly.

1) This doesn’t seem to be calculated correctly -

Why don't I have a Child and Dependent Care Credit?

Since your $8,312 in care expenses wasn't enough to use up the $5,000 you contributed to your employer's dependent care plan, your Child and Dependent Care Credit is $0.

The $2,000 of unspent care benefits will be added to your W-2 as taxable income.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

It looks like my Child and Dependent Care expenses weren't calculated correctly.

The maximum amount of care expenses you're allowed to claim is $3,000 for one child.  You do not qualify for the dependent care credit if your FSA (dependent care benefit account) is more than the expenses claimable for the credit.  

If you had two or more children, the maximum credit would be $6,000 and you could claim an extra $1,000 (amount over in excess of your dependent care account with your employer) as a Child and Dependent Care Credit.    

Any unusable amount in your tax-free dependent care benefit account, in your case $2,000, is added back to income as this amount is taxable.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies