Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Khoa152

Is the MAGI limit for IRA deductions combined or individual?

We are married and filing jointly but our individual incomes are vastly different. We're looking for ways to reduce our tax burden this year and my spouse is considering starting an IRA. 

However I wanted to clarify the MAGI limit such as the one here:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/2023-ira-deduction-limits-effect-of-modified-agi-on-deduction-i...

Is the MAGI limit for our total combined income as we are filing jointly? Or is the MAGI limit for our individual income but based on whether we are filing jointly?

In other words, if our combined income is above the "filing jointly and covered by an employer plan" limit, does that mean neither of us can benefit from an IRA? Or if both of our incomes individually are below the MAGI limit, we could both benefit from an IRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The MAGI limit is determined by  the filing status and income on the return. So in a joint filing the combined income is used 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The MAGI limit is determined by  the filing status and income on the return. So in a joint filing the combined income is used 

Khoa152

Ok that's exactly what I wanted to clarify. Thank you so much for the quick and clear response!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies