Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it ok claim the Home office business expenses that were put on spouse credit card?

Hello,

I've been purchasing my Home office supplies, office equipment, janitorial/cleaning items through my spouse credit card as my spouse has Amazon prime. We're filing our taxes jointly and this is my first year with 1099-NEC.

My question is, 

- Is it still ok to claim all these deductions of the items that were placed using my spouse account? Even though the account and name was different, I was the one who is using for my Home Office needs.

Additionally, I've another question is if the below expenses are deductible with 1099-NEC? 

• Coffee
  • Snacks
  • Area rug / carpet for the office
  • Projector

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Is it ok claim the Home office business expenses that were put on spouse credit card?

It is always better to have separate accounts but if you have the financial details for the expenses, be it cash and a paper receipt, or her credit card detail, those are all audit trails that can demonstrate expenses. 

A rug for the office and a projector you use for business can both be entered in Assets and you can determine if they should be expenses this year or depreciated over several years. 

If you do not see Assets click on the down arrow by Less Common Expenses

There are two sections for food, snacks, or coffee, depending on if they were for your clients or your employees.  If it was just for your use, they would not be expenses for the office. 

@TaxPay3r

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No problem with using her credit card. Coffee and snacks are not deductible but anything bought for the office is. To qualify for a home office the space must be used exclusively and regularly for business. 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

It is always better to have separate accounts but if you have the financial details for the expenses, be it cash and a paper receipt, or her credit card detail, those are all audit trails that can demonstrate expenses. 

A rug for the office and a projector you use for business can both be entered in Assets and you can determine if they should be expenses this year or depreciated over several years. 

If you do not see Assets click on the down arrow by Less Common Expenses

There are two sections for food, snacks, or coffee, depending on if they were for your clients or your employees.  If it was just for your use, they would not be expenses for the office. 

@TaxPay3r

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies