julieb89403

Is allergy medication that my doctor prescribed to me but is only available as OTC deductible because there are no possible meds available to prescribe anymore?

He has me taking more than the directions on the box of the allergy medication and there are no possible prescription medications available to prescribe for my cat allergy and other allergens other than the allergy shot which he is trying to avoid for me.

Vanessa

No, this is not deductible.

Per pub 502 "You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for prescribed medicines and drugs. A prescribed drug is one that requires a prescription by a doctor for its use by an individual. You can also include amounts you pay for insulin. Except for insulin, you can't include in medical expenses amounts you pay for a drug that isn't prescribed."https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502#en_US_2017_publink1000178984