turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Still Listing Dependent Care Benefits as income

I posted 2 months about IRS coming after me for my 2017 taxes because I didn't handle the Dependent Day Care FSA correctly. I had forgotten to enter Box 10. So once I did, I lost the childcare credit and owed IRS another $1000. I am not certain if I sent the IRS the new Form 2441.

However, IRS has come back and still claiming I have Dependent care benefits that I didn't report, that should be as income. They are saying I reported $98 and my employer reported $5000. 

1) Where are on my tax return are they finding this $98 that I reported in dependent care benefits?

2) More importantly, why are they still considering this as income? It was Dependent Day Care FSA.  Could it be if I didn't send the revised Form 2441 that includes Part III? If I remove all the daycare expenses in TurboTax, the new number is about what IRS is saying I owe, so not submitting the revised Form 2441 may be what caused this.

Here is the previous thread I posted on: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/i-see-the-mistake-forgot-to-ente...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

"I am not certain if I sent the IRS the new Form 2441" -> You Can be certain things aren't going to get better until you confirm Provider information/amount paid with IRS.

1) Nobody in this public forum has access to your return, thus can't say what the $98 represents. 

2) The $5k reported in Box 10 of your W-2 is Income (with penalties) Unless offset with an equal or greater amount properly reported to a provider via Form 2441. 

I faxed in a revised 2441.

Any idea what line in the tax return they may have attributed the $98 child care benefit? I have searched my return for a 97 or 98 that could represent a childcare benefit but can't find anything. I also have search for words related to it and looked at those lines, but can't figure it out.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies