Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FrankWilliams
Returning Member

IRS Pub 529: You can deduct legal expenses that are related to doing or keeping your job... Where do I enter those deductions?

Since the IRS publication explicitly states you can deduct legal fees where you hired a lawyer in order to keep your job, where in the tax forms do you input that deduction. I tried entering the fees on the "Employment Expenses -- Job-Related Expenses" and it made absolutely zero difference in my taxes due. So... where must I input that expense (legal fees) in order for it to have an effect?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

IRS Pub 529: You can deduct legal expenses that are related to doing or keeping your job... Where do I enter those deductions?

Qualified legal fees are no longer deducted on Sch A but on sch 1. You will report it as negative income rather than a deduction.

To enter your qualifying legal fees from an employment discrimination suit in TurboTax Online,

• Go to Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income, 
  • Next to Miscellaneous Income,
  • Select  Other reportable income
  • Description "Qualifying Legal Fees," and
  • Enter the amount as a negative number.

The deduction will appear as an “above the line” deduction and will be deducted from your gross income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
FrankWilliams
Returning Member

Thank you. This was very helpful. It made a difference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies