Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Godschildnow
Returning Member

IRA Rollover Income

My 1099-R Shows both a distribution amount and a rollover amount. Your solution was to divide the 2 amounts and treat each as a separate 1099-R.  The rollover amount keeps showing up as income and is creating a 3,887 increase in income. If I leave the line item at zero as far as income distribution it kicks it back as an error. I need a walk through on how to correct this. If I fill it in it shows as corrected, but I am paying tax on it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

IRA Rollover Income

To indicate that part of the distribution was a rollover, please follow these steps:

1. Go to the 1099-R input screen and click Continue
  2. A few screens after the 1099-R input screen, you should see a screen, What did you do with the Money from XX?
  3. Mark the radio button that you moved the money to another retirement account . . .  [See Screenshot below.]
  4. In the next section, mark the radio button next to did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money.
  5. In the next section, indicate how much of the contribution was moved to an IRA, 401k or other retirement account.

The screens in TurboTax may differ, depending on the information previously entered.  If the above information does not answer your question, please respond with the following information:

1. How does the 1099-R show that the distribution was partially rolled over?
  2. What codes show in Box 7?
  3. Was the distribution from a pension plan or an IRA?  If an IRA, is it traditional or Roth?
  4. Was the rollover to another pension plan or an IRA

IRA Rollover Income

@Godschildnow wrote:

My 1099-R Shows both a distribution amount and a rollover amount. Your solution was to divide the 2 amounts and treat each as a separate 1099-R.  The rollover amount keeps showing up as income and is creating a 3,887 increase in income. If I leave the line item at zero as far as income distribution it kicks it back as an error. I need a walk through on how to correct this. If I fill it in it shows as corrected, but I am paying tax on it.

If you  rolled over part and kept part then it is reported on a SINGLE 1099-R - not two.

Delete what you entered and re-enter the original 1099-R.    Say you "moved" the money and did a combination  of things,  enter the rollover amount in the top box.     The 1099-R box 1 amount  should be on  the 1040 line 4a (if an IRA) and the amount not rolled over on 4b with ROLLOVER next to ti,

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies