Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

a_m1
Returning Member

IRA Deduction income limits and future taxes

I was terminated from my job in 2023.  I had a 401k while employed.  Turbo Tax tells me this deems me as having a 401k for the entire year (even though I did not)

So, any 2023 IRA contribution is subject to income limits to determine if contribution is deductible.  Turbo tax tells me I am not eligible to reduce my taxable income by IRA contributions because my MAGI is over 136k, filing as MFJ.

My question is:  If I am unable to deduct my IRA contributions for 2023, due to exceeding income limits, doesn't this mean my IRA contribution gets taxed twice when I withdraw from my IRA in the future?

It seems I have no option but a ROTH IRA?

thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

While you can protect your cost basis by tracking non deductible contributions with form 8606, contributing to a Roth would be simpler if eligible to do so. 
https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8606

dmertz
Level 15

"f I am unable to deduct my IRA contributions for 2023, due to exceeding income limits, doesn't this mean my IRA contribution gets taxed twice when I withdraw from my IRA in the future?"

No.  Distributions from your traditional IRAs will be proportionate amounts of taxable pre-tax money and nontaxable basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies