Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ponolson
Returning Member

Invalid Education Credit from TurboTax?

TurboTax is giving me the American Opportunity Credit.  Even though it would be great to get it, I don't think this is correct.  Here's the situation: 

My son (19) is a full-time student.  My wife and I (married, filing jointly) are claiming him as a dependent.  We received a 1098-T for my son, so it seemed good to enter that information in our tax return.  However, his education expenses are paid through a combination of scholarships and a Grandparents' Trust setup by my parents.  Since my wife and I are not actually paying the education expenses, I assume we shouldn't get the credit.

If I have that right, what do I put in TurboTax?  When entering the 1098-T, I couldn't find any place in TurboTax to indicate that some education funds came from the trust.  The easiest solution seems to be to just leave the 1098-T out of the tax return altogether.  Would that be the best approach?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Invalid Education Credit from TurboTax?

Only enter Form 1098-T to generate an education credit, or if you need the program to compute taxable income because of excess scholarships and/or 529 Distribution. 

If there is no reason to apply for a credit, and the student doesn't need to claim income from it, don't bother with the 1098-T.

Form 1098-T is used for worksheets, it is not directly reported or entered on a 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies