Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

D34wild

In New York, can the student (claimed as my dependent) and I (parent) both claim the 529 contributions in 2023? Or only one of us? I'm thinking only one of us, likely me since the student is my dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

In New York, can the student (claimed as my dependent) and I (parent) both claim the 529 contributions in 2023? Or only one of us? I'm thinking only one of us, likely me since the student is my dependent.

If you are the one who set up the account for the beneficiary, you can take the deductions for the contributions.

• Unlike a taxable account, your assets compound tax-free, giving you better potential for growth over the long-term (Contributions are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.)
  • Your withdrawals are free from federal and New York State income tax when used to pay for qualified education expenses (Qualified Withdrawals). For example, tuition, fees, room and board, books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment or attendance at any eligible post-secondary school in the world.
  • You can receive a New York State income tax deduction of up to $5,000 ($10,000 for married couples filing jointly).

Proceeds from your account can be used to pay tuition and other qualified higher education expenses of your beneficiary at any eligible undergraduate or graduate public or private college or university or trade, vocational, or professional school.

Qualified higher education expenses include:

• Tuition
  • Fees
  • Room and board
  • Books
  • Supplies
  • Equipment required for enrollment or attendance at any eligible post-secondary school in the world

See here for more information about the New York 529 program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies