Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mary7

In 2016 I received a rebate from taxes I paid on Canadian property sale in 2015 to the Canadian Revenue Service(CRS) Do I need to include that as income in my 2016 1040?

I have not received any tax assessment forms from them, but am worried that I may need to pay income on the rebate. Can you advise?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

In 2016 I received a rebate from taxes I paid on Canadian property sale in 2015 to the Canadian Revenue Service(CRS) Do I need to include that as income in my 2016 1040?

Let me start with I DON'T KNOW: I do know that's a tricky situation for most of us ordinary T-Tax users.

My first guess was that Yes, it was money you received and even though it was a rebate it was a payment that had probably been reported as part of the cost of selling the house so a reduction of taxable income. But upon closer reading I think the particular details of the sale, the tax, and the rebate might suggest otherwise.

I have a somewhat similar situation pending with a rebate received in 2017, that I thought might require an amended return for 2015. A T-Tax expert says No, count it as regular income for 2017, but I am going to check with IRS ASAP as the confusion arose on Friday evening. I recommend that you do the same.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies