Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stu E
Returning Member

Improper Charitable deduction limit is now being used by TT

Two weeks ago TT calculated my charitable deduction for a donation of household items correctly and now it is not.   I am already over the 30% of AGI deduction limit due to a carryover of a large capital gain property, but not even close to the 50% deduction limit.   This year I donated cash and household items.  Initially the cash and household items were not limited so I got the full deduction for them.  But now, TT is giving me no additional deduction for the household items by treating them as capital gain property subject to a 30% limit (since I am already over the 30% limit).  The household items should be classified as 50% limit property, but I see no way make TT do what it was already doing just a couple weeks ago.  So this looks like a new TT error to me.   Any fixes or help would be appreciated?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My guess is you are impacted by the same error as the post "Stock donation not showing as a Capital Gain Property" where my donations of appreciated stock are showing up in the column where household goods should be, and household goods are showing up as "Capital Gain Property".  Take a look at the form "Charitable Contributions Summary" to see if it is the same issue.

Stu E
Returning Member

I think you are correct that these two bugs are inter-related.  So what is the best way to get TT to fix this.

Stu E
Returning Member

Turbo Tax fixed this problem (after a one hour telephone call).  So I am happy to know that TT is response to our concerns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies