Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If we have a 25 yr old business vehicle that we stop using, do we have to recapture depreciation? What if we donate it to charity, do we recapture depreciation?

Paid 34000. in 1997, used over 50% for business. 179 expenses 2844.00 depreciated 14,400. TT shows have to recapture, not sure that is true or how to fill out the form. Thank you!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If we have a 25 yr old business vehicle that we stop using, do we have to recapture depreciation? What if we donate it to charity, do we recapture depreciation?

No, you do not have to recapture depreciation. The car has given you five useful lives, instead of one.

View solution in original post

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No. When it was a business, it did not fall below 50%. Once you converted it to personal use, that question no longer applies.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to recapture depreciation. The car has given you five useful lives, instead of one.

How do I enter it on my turbotax? It comes up with recapture of 17000.  I must have filled something in wrong. Can you help?

I entered stopped using 1-1-21, bought it used, not part of trade-in, MACRS half year convention

Don't know what to enter on Did business use fall to 50% or less in 2021, I put yes, but it was always 50% or more. I just put yes cuz we quit using it.

Hello, I just went back and changed the answer to NO for Did the use of the vehicle fall to 50% or less  and TT didn't enter recapture amount. Did I choose the correct answer? I don't want to do anything wrong!  Thank you!

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No. When it was a business, it did not fall below 50%. Once you converted it to personal use, that question no longer applies.

Thank you so much for your help on this!!! I really appreciate it!

Carl
Level 15

If you've been using the vehicle in your business for 25 years, it was already depreciated after the first 5 years. So it's cost basis is zero. It has no donation value. If you sell it, then the full selling price would be 100% taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies