turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

capron7

If my spouse is covered under my HDHP then how do I answer: What type of High Deductible Health Plan did (Spouse) have on December 1, 2022?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If my spouse is covered under my HDHP then how do I answer: What type of High Deductible Health Plan did (Spouse) have on December 1, 2022?

Can you clarify your question - where exactly were you asked "what type of High Deductible Health Plan (Spouse) have..."?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

for an HSA the rule is if one spouse is covered by a family HDHP both are. if both have a family HDHP, then you look to the one with the lowest annual deductible. That must be a minimum of $3,000 otherwise it's disqualifying coverage. 

I can try to clarify the question, because I had the same problem.  One spouse has the HSA and HDHP with family coverage.  The questions are asking about the spouse that does not have the plan but is covered under family plan. The question is asked above "What type of HDHP does <spouse> have" gives the choices of 1) family 2) individual and 3) none.  If you check family it asks questions assuming your coverage lapsed for some period (which it has not).  Glitch in software or did we answer a question wrong?  Is there any impact for answering that <spouse> had "none" even though they were in fact covered under the family plan?  It's the only way to proceed.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The section is tying the owner of the HSA (who may have a family HSA) with their HDHP. It is confusing to be certain, but if your spouse did not own the HSA, then the correct answer to 'What type of HDHP does spouse have' is NONE. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies