Solved: If I use my home as my principal place of business, can I deduct the amount I pay for Fire Insurance?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicaswaner

If I use my home as my principal place of business, can I deduct the amount I pay for Fire Insurance?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa
Level 3

If I use my home as my principal place of business, can I deduct the amount I pay for Fire Insurance?

You would only be able to deduct the portion of the insurance as a percent of your home that is used regularly and exclusively for your business.  So, if you have a 2000 sq. ft. home and a home office that is 200sq.ft. you would only be able to deduct 10% of your fire insurance.  

If no part of your home is used regularly and exclusively for business, then you would not be able to deduct any of your fire insurance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Vanessa
Level 3

You would only be able to deduct the portion of the insurance as a percent of your home that is used regularly and exclusively for your business.  So, if you have a 2000 sq. ft. home and a home office that is 200sq.ft. you would only be able to deduct 10% of your fire insurance.  

If no part of your home is used regularly and exclusively for business, then you would not be able to deduct any of your fire insurance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings