turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shainacg

If I received a 1099-S, do I need to report a home sale if my divorce judgement states my ex-husband received 100% of the proceeds and is fully responsible for any taxes?

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I received a 1099-S, do I need to report a home sale if my divorce judgement states my ex-husband received 100% of the proceeds and is fully responsible for any taxes?

have you contacted the issuer of the 1099-s to see if they will issue a corrected one to report that you got $0.  if not, and you don't report this you almost certainly will get an inquiry or even a bill from the IRS.    to minimize the chances of IRS contact, I would report the proceeds and use the proceeds for the basis so gain is zero.  also on the form I would write "see statement attached".  to the return I would attach a statement stating that "pursuant to my divorce decree my ex-husband received 100% of the proceeds and is fully responsible for reporting the sale. see copy of that portion of decree attached.  I contacted the issuer of the 1099-S but they would not change it"   Even, if you do this, you might get a notice from the IRS.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies