golden-pamela

If I qualify for the standard deduction, do I also include co-payments spent for doctors, treatments, and prescription fees?

MichaelMc

No. The Standard deduction takes the place of all itemized deductions, including medical and dental out of pocket payments.

For 2018, the increased Standard Deduction amounts for all filers are:

• Single or Married filing separately—$12,000.
  • Married filing jointly or Qualifying widow(er)—$24,000.
  • Head of household—$18,000.
  • Single and over age 65 or blind: add $1,600 for age and/or blindness.
  • Taxpayer and spouse filing jointly and over age 65 or blind: add $1,300 per person for age and/or blindness.
  • Taxpayer and spouse filing separately and over age 65 or blind: add $1,300 per person for age and/or blindness.
  • Qualifying widow(er) and over age 65 or blind: add $1,300 for age and/or blindness.
  • Head of household and over age 65 or blind: add $1,600 for age and/or blindness.

MichaelMc

• Head of household—$18,000.