Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nonmes

If i paid for adult sons Medical insurance and legal fees but he was living with his grandparents the entir year who can claim him.

Also can i keep him on my insurance if his grandparents claim him on their taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If i paid for adult sons Medical insurance and legal fees but he was living with his grandparents the entir year who can claim him.

You can continue to insure him until age 26. Since he lives with grandparents they get to claim him if otherwise qualified. 

Nonmes

According to ACA though it says the individual who claims the dependent  for federal income tax is responsible for insurance. 

I also see it says that for insurance the individual can’t  be the tax dependent of any other tax payer.

That complicates things. Read this discussion. That answer is not clear cut and you might have to discuss with the Marketplace. 

https://www.healthinsurance.org/faqs/we-claim-our-son-but-not-our-daughter-on-our-taxes-how-are-prem...

Nonmes

I dont have insurance through the marketplace. It is through my employer and I am having a hard time trying to figure out how that changes things as well.

That makes it simpler. 

Generally, you can join a parent’s plan and stay on until you turn 26 even if you:
  • Get married
  • Have or adopt a child
  • Start or leave school
  • Live in or out of your parent’s home
  • Aren’t claimed as a tax dependent
  • Turn down an offer of job-based coverage
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies