turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ehilltex

If I deduct the Uber expenses category with fuel card charges on my Schedule C and I also take the standard mileage deduction, isn't this wrong as in a double deduction?

I am using the Uber fuel card and these charges are listed on the front page of their tax summary in the expenses, fees and tax section. If I deduct this whole section on the Schedule C as an expense and also take the standard mileage deduction, isn't this wrong as it amounts to a double deduction? By the way, I am using Turbo Tax thru Uber so it is free for me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I deduct the Uber expenses category with fuel card charges on my Schedule C and I also take the standard mileage deduction, isn't this wrong as in a double deduction?

No, you can deduct 53.5 cents per mile or actual vehicle expenses (ie. gasoline. oil, tires, repairs maintenance, insurance) prorated for business miles-but not both.

If you claim the standard mileage rate in year one for this vehicle, you will have the option of deducting the standard rate or actual expenses in subsequent years. If you claim actual vehicle expenses in year one, you must choose actual expenses in every subsequent year for that auto.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, you can deduct 53.5 cents per mile or actual vehicle expenses (ie. gasoline. oil, tires, repairs maintenance, insurance) prorated for business miles-but not both.

If you claim the standard mileage rate in year one for this vehicle, you will have the option of deducting the standard rate or actual expenses in subsequent years. If you claim actual vehicle expenses in year one, you must choose actual expenses in every subsequent year for that auto.

rooj28

Isn't that a double deduction since fuel card charges are gasoline expenses but the standard mileage rate was used?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies